For centuries the herb Sutherlandia frutescens has
been used by all the peoples of Southern Africa as a
treatment for various ailments. Research carried out by
the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) in
Port Elizabeth, South Africa, has clearly demonstrated
that Sutherlandia reduced and stabilised blood sugar
levels in diabetic rats within days.
The results were published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology No. 107, 121-127 (2007) The use of rats as clinical subjects was significant as the development of diabetes in these animals closely resembles that in human beings. The results of the trial has been peer reviewed in other countries and accepted as valid.
The salient features the researchers found were:
* blood sugar levels were reduced within days and remained constant.
* there was increased glucose uptake into the muscle and adipose tissues with a decreased glucose loss through the large intestine,
* thereby increasing insulin activity.
* even when used with insulin or other anti-diabetic agents, blood levels remained stable.
* there was evidence that pre-diabetic stages could be reversed
* no apparent side effects. Sutherlandia frutescens can be used in conjunction with insulin or other anti-diabetic agents.
In 1997 the University of Western Cape undertook a study to establish the safety of Sutherlandia frutescens and confirmed that the herb was safe for human consumption.
Researchers postulate that this anti-diabetic action is the result of a combination of proven phytochemicals present in the plant including
L-Cananavine: anti wasting, anti-cancer and anti-microbial agent,
Pinitol: an anti-diabetic agent also useful in combatting wasting in a variety of chronic diseases.
GABA: and inhibitory neurotransmitter used in the management of stress, anxiety and depression.
Powerful anti-oxidants to boost the Immune System, especially for persons suffering from a chronic condition.
Sterolandia 50 capsules consist of 300 mg of Nutricare and 300 mg of Sutherlandia.